Exuberant Moses Kuria, the Gatundu South MP, is a tenacious politician adept at tackling any political hot potato.

But his political skills came painfully short last month when his electric blanket left him with serious burns requiring a long hospital stay and an even lengthier route to recovery.

A much relieved Kuria, who was admitted at the Karen Hospital since September 27, spent hours of in theatre as doctors cleaned and treated the wounds.

“God is merciful. Just came out of the theatre successfully! We praise His Name,” he wrote on his Twitter account moments after the surgery.

Kuria got in trouble while warming himself with an electric blanket.

The MP even joined his fellow politicians in issuing a press statement on the ongoing voter registration exercise.

“The Mt Kenya Unity Forum led by Mt Kenya spokesperson Hon Martha Karua visited me and wished me quick recovery,” Kuria wrote.

“We also held a press conference and announced the launch of the Seven-To-Ten Project whereby we will mobilise three million new voters to register in Mt Kenya region and the Mt Kenya diaspora,” he added.

Kuria did not feel the severe burns for a while and did not get treatment immediately.

Some patients with such dangerous burns require amputation of the toes and or skin grafts. Kuria’s treatment was not disclosed.

An electric bedspread, or throw, is a blanket made from heavy, sturdy material with an internally integrated wiring system that provides warmth and heat through coil wires.

The blankets generally plug into your electrical outlet and can be set on different levels of heat.

The majority of electric linens are made from a combination of polyester and acrylic material.

Electric blankets are designed to create a warm and cozy bed but are not recommended for overnight use.

Electric blankets are safe for short-term use, and although unlikely, they have the potential to overheat if used incorrectly or for a prolonged period.

With Sh3,900 you can get yourself an electric blanket when you are looking for a way to keep warm.

The price varies from Sh3,900 to as high as Sh20,000 sold through various platforms in the country including online sellers.

But just like any electrical appliance, heated blankets can be a fire hazard.

Experts estimate that an average of 5,000 house fires are caused by electric blankets globally every year, occurring mostly due to either manufacturer fault, improperly installed wiring, or faulty control units.

Sourced by The Star

Facebook Comments